Orals, Jonathan Roth, Tue Aug 21st 3PM

jonroth at stanford.edu jonroth at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 14 18:06:22 PDT 2007

Electroabsorption Modulators for CMOS Compatible Optical
Interconnects in III-V and Group IV Materials

Jonathan E. Roth
Department of Electrical Engineering
Stanford University Ph.D. Oral Examination

Advisor: Professor David A. B. Miller

Location: Center for Integrated Systems Extension (CIS-X) Auditorium
Date:  Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Time:   3:00 PM (Refreshments 2:45 PM)

While electrical systems excel at digital information processing,
photonics is useful in systems for high-bandwidth, low-loss signal
transmission.  As photonics technology has become increasingly
widespread and been deployed at shorter distance scales than
traditional long-haul networks, it becomes more important to
integrate photonics components with electrical integrated circuits
efficiently.

Most currently deployed photonics technologies utilize substrates
other than silicon and materials incompatible with CMOS
manufacturing.  Integration strategies have included flip-chip
bonding of a chip for electronics and one for optics for
two-dimensionally arrayed interconnections.  More recently
silicon-based photonics technologies have been developed which may
allow fabrication of photonics and electronics on the same substrate
using conventional CMOS foundry processes.  Recently we discovered a
strong quantum-confined Stark effect in germanium quantum wells,
which can be used to create efficient optoelectronic modulators on
silicon substrates.

In this talk I will describe the first optoelectronic modulators
using germanium quantum wells, devices that we designed, fabricated,
and tested.  Our results include a modulator operating in the
telecommunications C-band, and requiring a drive voltage swing of
only 1V.  I will also describe the first chip-to-chip optical
transceiver operating in the C-band that used a transmitter device
flip-chip bonded to CMOS.