Ph.D. Orals - Wednesday (08/22) 10:00 AM

Onur Fidaner ofidaner at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 17 10:14:29 PDT 2007

Stanford University Ph.D. Oral Examination

Photonic Integration for Interconnects: from Chip-scale to Long Distance

Onur Fidaner

Research Advisor: Professor David A. B. Miller

Department of Electrical Engineering

Location: Center for Integrated Systems Extension (CIS-X) Auditorium
Date:  Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Time:   10:00 AM (Refreshments served at 9:45 AM)

Photonics technology has been widely used in long-haul optical
networks and it is now considered as an alternative to electrical
interconnects in CMOS chips because electrical interconnects cannot be
scaled for fundamental reasons.  In this talk I will explain two
different technologies for optical interconnects, at two very
different distance scales.  The first one is an InP-based integrated
photonic switch that can be used in multifunctional and reconfigurable
optical network nodes.  The second technology is an optical link on
silicon employing Ge/SiGe quantum well modulators and detectors on
silicon.  Both of these technologies monolithically integrate multiple
photonic components on the same chip to improve performance and reduce
cost.

The first technology offers a photonic integration platform on III-V
substrates.  We demonstrate a photonic switch that intimately
integrates quantum-well electroabsorption modulators with
photodetectors such that the detectors directly drive the modulators.
Such an intimate integration provides a compact
optical-electronic-optical (o-e-o) conversion and eliminates the
necessity of propagating high-speed electrical signals in cascaded
discrete electronic and photonic components.  These switches offer
multiple network functions such as wavelength conversion, electrical
packet switching, and optical packet switching.

The second technology utilizes the recently discovered strong
quantum-confined Stark effect (QCSE) in germanium - silicon germanium
quantum well structures, which can be grown on silicon substrates.
QCSE offers an efficient physical mechanism to make CMOS-integrated
electroabsorption modulators.  In this talk I will describe the first
waveguide electroabsorption modulators and photodetectors using
Ge/SiGe quantum well system.  In particular, I will demonstrate the
first optical link on silicon using the quantum well technology.