SNF Equipment Grant Support Request

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Fri Jan 5 12:58:12 PST 2007

SNF is participating in the National Science
Foundation's MRI solicitation through NNIN.  Our
target tool is a spin etcher from Laurell
Technologies (it fits within the cost constraints
put on us).  It is a single wafer (or pieces)
which has multiple wet chemistries channels for
processes such as etching, surface passivation, rinsing and drying.

The NNIN community has approved our tool
selection and now we must provide the formal
proposal.  Part of the MRI request is a paragraph
from users who will benefit from the tool.  You
can greatly help our bid in obtaining this tool
by providing a paragraph on the benefits of this
tool to your research.  I have included a
description of the items and format requested for
the MRI grant.  As always, we need to respond
quickly to meet the Wednesday, Jan. 10th deadline for submission.

I have also included Laurell's description of the tool.

Thank You,
Ed Myers

3) Technical Application snipets-  APPROXIMATELY 200 WORDS each ( 100-300).
                 Each snippet has
                          a)  brief title
                          b) who (user)
                           3) user department and institution
                           4)   description of research project/application
                           5)  A picture that will look good at  2" square-
                           6)  a caption

These are short descriptions of specific user
research that will benefit from this
tool.  Generally existing user projects or can be
potential user projects.  Can be work that is
currently done on less than adequate equipment,
or related work that would be enhanced/ enabled
by the capabilities of the new tool In some
cases  you may not be able to attribute to a
particular project/user, in which case write
about a general application that a user could
do.  Emphasize what is important about the work
and what will be enhanced by the new capability.

The following is the tool we are attempting to purchase under this grant:

Laurell Technologies Corporation manufactures a
simple, self contained and affordable single
wafer spin processing system etching and
cleaning.  Model EDC-650 is an automated,
mutli-chemical, digital processor controlled
spinner.  The spin processor features a
zero-porosity Teflon® fluid path with an onboard
dispense valve manifold. A clear ECTFE
dome-shaped lid allows safe visibility of your
process as it runs.  The EDC-650 features
programmable valves leading to single injector
chemical dispense for repeatability required for
Etch, Develop, and Cleaning applications where a
rinse (typically DI water or solvent) then dry
(typically N2) are the final process steps. With
this sequential valving technique the wafer and
plumbing begin and end the process completely
dry. Isolated and independent injectors are
available in static positions yet adjustable within the lid.