Al annealing

Baylor B Triplett baylortriplett at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 9 10:13:33 PST 2007

All,
    Al-1%Cu is a reasonable option to reduce the crystallization
described below unless you have extreme needs but you have to be careful
to eliminate ions and water to prevent corrosion...shelf life of the
devices may be limited without passivation of the Al alloy. Another
alternative is Al-2%Si with much less susceptibility to corrosion but
larger crystallite sizes. Below is a little of what I remember about
this subject.
   [ "Surface roughness" with Al or Al alloys is usually simply grain
growth resulting from crystallization. Although quite dependent on film
thickness (the thicker the film, the larger the crystallite sizes), it
is also dependent on cooling rate...rapid cooling will minimize the
grain size formed. Aluminum is particularly bad since it has a low
melting point.
For this reason, many in semiconductor technologies use Al-2%Si alloys
or Al-0.5%, Al-2%Cu, and even Al-4%Cu to suppress grain growth and
improve electromigration.
However, the Achilles heel of high Cu is the strong electrochemical cell
formed between Al and the Al2Cu mixed phase which suppresses the size of
the crystallites. About 10 years ago (before the advent of straight Cu
metallization to improve electromigration), industry.] Depending on
needs more refractory metals such as Ti can also provide
solutions and a dual layer of Ti plus Al alloy often works well at the
expense of complexity.
                  Baylor Triplett, Consulting Professor