SNF and Community Day

Michael Deal mdeal at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 15 12:42:23 PDT 2007

SNF labmembers,
      This year,  SNF will once again participate in Stanford
University's "Community Day."  This is where adults and children from
the neighboring cities are invited to Stanford on a Spring Sunday to
visit the campus, and dozens of university organizations put on
displays and demonstrations.  Two years ago - Community Day is now
held every other year - we had a very successful and fun day in which
we taught the community about nanotechnology.  We had posters, free
handouts (ruler/magnifying glasses), microscope demos (where they
could see structures built in our lab), and the very popular "be a
junior nanoscientist (where kids put on a cleanroom suit, got the
photo taken, and got a nanoscientist certificate with their name and
picture on it.)  We also gave tours of the cleanroom every few hours.
     Based on the success of previous years, and the fact that only
~30% of Community Day attendees are repeaters from before, we plan on
doing basically the same thing as before.  In addition, the Stanford
Nanocharacterisation Laboratory (SNL) will join us, participating in
the microscope activity and offering a tour of their facility.  And
this year our exhibit area will be right in front of CIS, not by the
Hoover tower like last time.
As before, I'd like to invite both staff and SNF labmembers to
volunteer. The more people who participate, the more fun it will be
for all of us.   Community Day will be Sunday, April 15 from 10 am to
4pm.  You can work part or all of it (we'll need a few here at 9am to
help set up).  We have lots of fun, and free lunch as well.  We'll
have a planning meeting some time before the event, with pizza, but
it isn't necessary to attend that in order to help out on the actual day.
     So if you are interested in helping out and participating in
SNF's nano activities at Community Day (April 15), please reply to me
as soon as you can, and mark the day on your calendar.  Thanks!
					   -Mike Deal, SNF