Warning: PLEASE CLEANUP after yourselves, or....

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 15 16:01:04 PDT 2007

Labmembers:

Please remember, the SNF is a shared lab and everyone must do his or her
part to keep this a clean, safe, and productive place to work. As many
old-timers have noted, the lab seems to be getting increasingly messy.
This is especially evident in the litho area and wet benches, where
chemicals have been left unattended, chucks and hot plates are left
coated with resist, empty resist bottles have been left on the floor,
used wipes left everywhere, optical resist at the ebeam bench, etc. (And
of course, the ammonium fluoride crystals found at several wet benches
in the white area earlier this month.) At the very least, these are
annoying to others; at worst, they present safety hazards to your fellow
lab and staff members. And, I hope that everyone would prefer that staff
address training, process, and equipment issues rather than cleaning up
after others.

Remember, cleanliness (and safety!) is EVERYONE’S responsibility! “But
it was that way when I found it, so I left it” is a lame excuse. When
you see something, clean it up if you feel safe doing so; if not, report
the situation to staff. And when you see someone else leaving a mess,
remind them of their responsibility to you and the rest of the lab.

*So, here is the warning:** * Starting Monday, for one week SNF staff
will sweep the litho area and wet bench areas twice a day... if there is
a mess, we will assign cleanup or “community service” tasks to the
guilty party – and if we cannot determine who it is (often the case)
then tasks will be assigned to EVERYONE who was enabled or working in
the area at that time.

We apologize for any inconvenience this will cause, but understand that
we have little choice if we want to improve matters. Not that I don’t
believe anyone does this intentionally, but I do think that we’ve got a
lot of people with deadlines and a lot of new people in the lab – under
these conditions, it’s very easy to become careless... And we constantly
need to remind ourselves and each other that we all are part of the same
lab.

So, as they say at Burning Man, “leave no trace...” (other than Coral
and logsheets, of course.)

Thanks for your attention –

Your SNF Staff

mtang at stanford.edu