quartz etching

christopher lueth clueth at stanford.edu
Wed May 9 13:43:39 PDT 2007

All,

I am trying to etch 100um deep channels with smooth (<1um roughness),
vertical sidewalls in fused quartz.  Does anyone know what the best
way to do this is?  I've read some things about using inductively
coupled plasma-DRIE that have an aspect ratio (depth to width) of the
sidewalls of >10.  However, I haven't found any companies that could
do this for me.  I've also seen this done by laser etching and found a
company, Translume, that can do this for me.  However this is a little
expensive $1000 for 3 pieces.  Does anyone have any reccomendations or
know any companies that could help me out?

Thanks,
Chris