Mary Tang mtang at
Fri May 11 16:30:43 PDT 2007

Sigh....  It looks I will have to make good on a threat...  Reports are
that this morning was OK.  But this afternoon, THREE sulfuric acid
bottles were found dripping with acid on the outsides of the bottles.
Two victims, oops, I mean, "labmembers" were chosen by a nonlabmember
third party to be informed that they will be helping with bottle washing
next week....

Stop endangering our staff.  STOP IT!!  Be careful with your chemical

Mary Tang wrote:
> Dear wet bench users --
> The Stockroom staff has brought to our attention the fact that
> sometimes, when they remove the empty bottles from the chemicals
> passthrough, they are wet -- on the OUTSIDE of the bottles.
> Sometimes, the liquid feels thick and viscous.  Sometimes, the liquid
> smells very sharp....  This is completely unacceptable.
> It appears that some people are becoming careless in using chemicals.
> This careless behavior is endangering others -- not only our staff,
> but anyone who may be using the chemicals carts or chemicals pass
> through which may also become contaminated by the wet bottles.
> We only know too well that it is hard to find who is doing this -- and
> often the culprit doesn't even realize what he/she is doing.
> So please, please, PLEASE make sure to pour chemicals slowly and
> carefully to avoid splashing.  If you do manage to drip chemical on
> the outside of the bottle,  take it to wbgaas, where there is a large
> sink.  Place it on the holey deck and spray it down with the DI hand
> sprayer.   Use pH paper, if you like, to ensure the bottle is
> thoroughly rinsed.  Make sure you screw the bottle cap firmly back
> onto the bottle, even on empty bottles --but especially on with
> chemicals.  Make sure to place the bottle back in the correct
> location.  If you have any questions, please ask a staff member.
> Remember that this is a shared facility -- everything you do has the
> potential to affect other lab and staff members.
> So that was my plea for sanity....  Now, here's the threat...  The
> next time our stockroom staff is exposed to chemicals on the outside
> of bottle, I will randomly select two people from the labmembers who
> have enabled any wet bench using that chemical during the previous 24
> hours -- who will help our stockroom staff run the bottle washer to
> clean empty bottles.  Yes, I will even qualify them to use the bottle
> wash on Coral....
> Thanks for your attention --
> Mary

mtang at