BCB/polyimide process

Onur Fidaner ofidaner at stanford.edu
Thu May 24 11:07:49 PDT 2007

Mathilde,

We've done some work on BCB processing some time ago. You can check the
link below for a paper of ours that includes our recipe as well. One
suggestion about the chemical: Dow chemical (supplier of BCB) guarantees a
shelf life of at least one year from the date you purchase. Though, if you
ask them they may be able to provide you with an extended one so you have a
chance to use it longer. Also, we've used the chemical up to two years past
the expiration date and still got satisfactory results for 2 um mesas.

We used headway to spin the chemical and then the bluem oven for the anneal
cycle described in the data sheet. We found it useful to protect the
backside of the wafer/piece with some blue sticky tape during spinning to
avoid cleaning later.

Thanks,

Onur Fidaner

the paper: