What to do while the YES Oven is down....

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 12 11:07:03 PST 2007

Hello all --

There's good news and bad.  The good news is that Gary and Mario appear
to have found the source(s) of the unreliable behavior of the YES oven.
However, there is bad news too...  We are sorry to report that repair
may take some considerable time (a crack in the chamber seam may require
complete disassembly and re-welding.)  So, we offer the following
alternatives for priming your samples:

1.  If you have a 100 mm round, use the standard 30 minute singe bake at
150 C, followed by HMDS prime on the SVG coat track, preferably track #1.

2.  If you have pieces or other substrate that cannot be track-primed,
you may do the following...  But BE CAREFUL!

- Singe bake at 150 C for 30 minutes to drive off surface moisture.

- Use a manual coater (headway2 or laurell) to apply your HMDS.   DO NOT
POUR HMDS.  There is a labeled dropper bottle of HMDS at headway2
bench.  ONE DROP should be sufficient for a piece.  Spin your sample
until dry.  Keep the dropper bottle closed when not in use.

- BE CAREFUL in your chemical handling!   HMDS can be easily inhaled and
absorbed through the skin.  See the MSDS here:
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/h2066.htm

- Consider this a temporary measure, until the YES oven can be
repaired.  Remember:  SNF does NOT encourage manual handling of HMDS,
but will allow it only in special cases.

We apologize for the inconvenience and will ask for your patience as the
YES undergoes needed repairs.

Your SNF Staff

mtang at stanford.edu
http://snf.stanford.edu