Thin film black coatings (IR absorbing)

Alissa M. Fitzgerald amf at
Fri Nov 30 09:41:56 PST 2007

Dear all,
Does anyone out there know a vendor or a process for depositing a thin black
(or very dark) layer onto wafers?  We are seeking an IR-absorbing layer that
can be deposited and patterned (likely through lift-off).  Any and all
suggestions are welcome.
I am aware of "gold black" and "nickel black" - metal sputtered in a N2
atmosphere - but I heard that it deposits as a powdery material and
therefore would be difficult to pattern, etc.  Please let me know if you
have information otherwise, and especially if you know of a place to get
Other processes we have thought about and might consider: sputter deposition
of carbon or any other dark film, or plasma etching of a metal surface to
roughen it up to lower its reflectivity.
Any details or creative ideas would be welcome!
Best regards,
Alissa M. Fitzgerald, Ph.D.
Managing Member
A.M. Fitzgerald & Associates, LLC