How to Thin the Silicon Substrate From Backside on Pieces

Bing Dai bdai at stanford.edu
Fri Nov 30 18:04:26 PST 2007

Dear Labmembers,

I would like to thin the silicon substrate from the backside of my sample to
form a 50um X 50um window with ~100um thick silicon remaining. The sample
has some metal (Cu/Ni) nano-structures built on top of the silicon substrate
and covered by 1um thick SiO2. Both the surface of SiO2 and the substrate
window need to be flat after the processing. Are there any mechanical or
chemical methods/tools for this purpose? I would appreciate any information
you provide.

Thanks,
Bing