Follow up on Litho Odor on Saturday, 10/20/07

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 23 13:04:58 PDT 2007

Hi everyone --

You may have seen Aaron Gibby's note on Saturday calling for an
evacuation of litho due to a strong smell in that area of the lab.
http://snf.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?mss:2921:200710:hednkjcdbibliclphmpp

The odor was determined to be due to a labmember's use of the headway
bench -- a previous user apparently left a lot of stuff and the
subsequent user tried to work around it, and so was likely not working
fully under the ventilated area (remember, behind the red line!)  This
labmember and his lab mate, however, could not smell the odor, although
others did.

So, the moral of the story:

1.  Clean up after yourself.  This is not only courteous, but a good
safety practice!
2.  Before working at a station, make sure it is clean and set up so
that you can work safely!
3.  It's too easy to get used to a smell --  Don't rely on your nose;
rely on good lab practices!

And please contact your favorite staff member if there are any concerns
or questions.

(By the way, for those who may be interested, the chemicals causing the
odor are: butyl acetate; 4-butyrolactone; and 1-methoxy-2-propanol
acetate.  The OSHA PEL limit (exposure limit over 8 hours) for butyl
acetate is 150 ppm (for comparison, PEL for isopropanol is 400 ppm.)  No
PEL limits are established for the other chemicals, but none are
identified as carcinogens.  These chemicals, in fact, are considered
industry standard "safe" solvents for photolithography and are
components in most of our standard resists and removers.  However, we
all should make every effort to avoid exposing ourselves and others in
the lab.)

Finally, we want to commend Aaron for doing exactly the right thing --
any time you feel safety is compromised, ACT!

Thanks for your attention --

Your SNF Staff

mtang at stanford.edu
http://snf.stanford.edu