FW: Die saw at Stanford or elsewhere

Baylor Triplett baylor.triplett at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 14:32:40 PDT 2008

Jason,
     While I cannot be certain without trying it, my understanding is
the wafer saw that CIS has should be able to cut such materials.
Certainly, my colleagues (years ago) used an almost identical wafer saw
to cut GGG (or Gadolium Gallium Garnet which is quite hard...probably
comparable to titania. Only thing is you should use high blade speed,
special blade that works best, and probably shallow multiple cuts to
reduce the troublesome blade heating. Kulicke and Sofa could probably
give you advice...and you may/may not need a special blade to minimize
heating....more likely needed if you have a gummy material on top of the
titania such as polyimide or polymerized organics. Do not try to cut all
the way through...you want to cut 60% to maybe 80% through and then
cleave the remainder. And these numbers are only guesses.
       The important thing is the cutting is more a function of
parameters and blade selection than saw. Of course, allbets are off if
CIS won't let you use it for contamination reasons. Talk to Mary Tang.
                 Regards, Baylor Triplett
                               Consulting Professor