etching Al2O3

Baylor Triplett baylor.triplett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 23:35:56 PDT 2008

All,
     While I do not have experience with attempting this particular
process, it is common for Hf or BHF to penetrate photoresist and result
in lift off depending on how long the etch solution is applied, and how
concentrated the etch solution is in HF or fluoride. One first attempt
is to hard bake the resist which substantially improves the adhesion to
the substrate. Then the resist is stripped by an aggressive stripper or
plasma ashed off. Adhesion promoters also can help.
      The ultimate solution can be a second layer or bilayer (sometimes
called a "hard mask" that can be etched more easily). However, I suggest
searching first for published papers in this area to see if there isn't
an easy solution.
                                  Baylor