LTO coverage in deep trenches

Thu Aug 28 17:36:04 PDT 2008

Steve,

Some years ago, I did a bit of modeling and measurements of LTO deposition
profiles. LTO can be modeled pretty well with a constant sticking
coefficient (SC) of about 0.3. This means that you have about 3 brouces
off the side walls of your trench before it sticks. This does not lead to
good side wall coverage as you go deeper into the trench. TEOS, which is
doposited in the 700C range, give much better step coverage. As I recall,
TEOS can be modeled as a mixture of a conformal ( very low SC ) component
and a high SC ( range of 0.2)  component. I am not in my office right now,
but I believe these two components were in the range of being so you will
get strong conformal deposition deep into your trench with TEOS. If you
want, I can send you some papers or some PhD dissertations on this work.

	Jim

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Steve Zhuang wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to find out if LTO has good conformal coverage in deep
> trenches. I have straight trenches are 30 um wide, and about 275 um
> deep, in a silicon wafer. I plan to deposit 0.5um LTO as an insulation
> layer over the side walls. Will this work? Your input will be highly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve

Jim McVittie, Ph.D.    			Senior Research Scientist
Allen Center for Integrated Systems     Electrical Engineering
Stanford University             	jmcvittie at stanford.edu
Rm. 336, 330 Serra Mall			Fax: (650) 723-4659
Stanford, CA 94305-4075			Tel: (650) 725-3640