Make sure to properly use Hazardous Waste Tags!

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Dec 9 13:35:05 PST 2008

Dear labmembers --

Please make sure to properly fill out hazardous waste tags when
disposing of chemical waste.

1.  Use complete, proper chemical names.  DO NOT use acronyms or trade
names ("Cr14 etch") but list all the chemicals in the mix. Stanford EH&S
(Environmental Health & Safety) department needs to know what the
chemicals are in order to properly sort and dispose of them (and they
are not going to know what "Gold Etch" or "AL12" means.)

2.  Examples are posted at the Chemicals Passthrough.  Chemical
compositions for the most chemical mixtures are now posted there too.
(And if your favorite chemical mixture isn't listed, let Uli know.)

3.  For hazardous waste tags that are not properly filled out:  you will
be called back into the lab to fill out a proper tag.  Second offense,
you'll be expected to help staff label, bag and sort general lab waste.

We realize that many labmembers are electrical engineers with a year of
undergraduate general chemistry a distant memory...  But it is important
that everyone one of us is diligent in managing our chemical waste in a
way that makes it safe for us, for the people who have to take care of
it, and our environment.  If you have any questions about these
procedures, the documentation, or other chemical safety concerns, please
bring them up with your favorite staff member.

Thanks for your attention --

Your Lab Staff

mtang at stanford.edu
http://snf.stanford.edu