Ultratech: Down for good....

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 7 18:52:39 PST 2008

Dear labmembers:

It is with deepest regret and a sigh of relief that we report the
remaining ultratech stepper is down for good.  With blood, sweat, and
tears, Mahnaz, Mario, Gary, and Cesar kept the machine limping along for
months (years?) until the last user reported his project complete.

For SNF, the Ultratech 1000 stepper was a workhorse system:  easy to use
and reliable, until age and obsolescence began to take its toll.   In
its time, it had state-of-the-art autoalignment capability and was the
industry standard.  It (or rather, a slightly earlier model) is
commemorated on the insightful Chip History website:

https://www.chiphistory.org/equipment_landmarks/1980/interesting_products/ultratech_model900_stepper_1980_84/ultratech.htm

It remains in the lab, though will be removed soon.   We will hold a
memorial ceremony then and all will be welcome to join.

The SNF Litho Team

mtang at stanford.edu
http://snf.stanford.edu