Computer outage early Sunday morning 2/17 ....

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Sat Feb 16 11:04:52 PST 2008

SNF Lab Members:

The Sunrays and the SNF Mail Server/Web Site will be down early Sunday
morning for a period of several hours starting at about 4:30 a.m.  The
purpose of this downtime will be to move home directories to a new file
system that will:

1. Provide somewhat more disk space so that we are not so close to 100%
on the /home/User partition (once again we are hovering between 99% and
100% on that system).
2. Allow us to increase the size of that partition "on the fly" if/when
we need to do so in the future.
3. Provide better redundancy in the event of a disk crash.
4. Provide somewhat faster performance.

To do this, however, we have to shutdown key systems so that incoming
mail messages, browser caches, and file edits do not thwart our attempts
to synchronize the old file system with the new file system.

So, starting in the very early hours on Sunday morning, the Sunrays in
the lab, the SNF mail system, and the SNF web site will be down for what
I expect to be a period of several hours while we move/synchronize these
file systems.

During that time, Remote Coral should be available the entire time.
Also, I will be available either in CIS 220 or my office (CIS 129,
x5-3715) in case you need to contact me to enable or disable a tool.
The Coral servers will be fully functional during that time.

We apologize for this inconvenience but hope that this has been schedule
so as to provide minimal disruption.

Thank you for your continued support,