New Lab Practices, effective Monday, June 9

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 5 18:03:25 PDT 2008

Dear Labmembers:

Over the past few months, Quality Circles comprised of process and
maintenance staff and students have been meeting regularly with the goal
of defining ways in which we can improve our lab.  A lot of activities
and programs have come out of these meetings -- and we would like to
inform you of two of them, scheduled to begin next week.

First: Name tags.  Starting Monday, we will expect everyone to begin
wearing name tags in the lab.  Blank tags will be provided in the
gowning room and are colored coded to distinguish labmembers from staff
and from visitors.  With 230+ labmembers making use of the lab every
month, it's hard to know who everyone is, especially with bunnysuits
on.  We hope this helps make it easier to find who that mystery Coral
login "mrxyz" with the late innotec reservation is.  And we hope it will
help reduce anonymity and improve personal accountability in the lab.

Second:  The shadowing program.  Starting Monday, labmembers wanting to
be qualified on most wet benches and furnaces will be required first to
observe a qualified labmember operate the system.  Shadowing forms will
be available in the gowning room and will include some advice on
shadowing courtesy.  For you experienced users, please be aware that new
labmembers may scan through Coral reservations looking for someone to
observe:  this may be you.  You have the right to refuse... but we want
to encourage everyone to contribute and to use this as an opportunity to
get to know, work with, and better train the next generation of
labmembers.  And if you would like to be qualified on any of the
automatic wet benches or furnaces, contact the appropriate staff member
as usual; you'll be given instructions, forms, and training materials.

These are only a couple of the many activities, projects, and programs
coming out of the Quality Circles.  If you would like to participate in
any of these (Furnaces, Litho, Etch, Metals, RTA's, and Epi), please
come to a meeting (most are held in CIS 201, but contact a staff member
to confirm).  These are biweekly and schedules are posted on the
whiteboard outside the gowning room.

Thanks for your attention --

The SNF Quality Circles

mtang at stanford.edu