Intermittent sliding lab door ...

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 23 14:00:33 PDT 2008

SNF Lab Members:

We've had two reports of the inner sliding door (the one between the
inside of the lab and the gowning area) failing to open: once on Friday
and once today.  On Friday, by the time we could look at it, it seemed
to be working again.  Today, I got there in time to see that it, in
fact, would not open .... but power cycling it seemed to make it
functional once again.  I've put in a request to facilities (because
they take care of that door) to take a look at it.

However, particularly in the event of a power failure or other
emergency, you should all be aware that you can ALWAYS get that door to
open by pushing outward on the metal frame on the left side near the
latch.  That will cause the door to swing open (rather than slide open)
and you can get out.  Also, the outer door to the hallway has a white
"Emergency Override" button on the right side of the door frame (at
about the height of the handle) that will allow that door to open
immediately, even if the inner door is open.

So, we will try to resolve the intermittent failure that we are seeing
on that inner door, but I wanted to make sure that you all know that you
can always get out of those doors even if they appear to not be functional.

Thank you for your continued support,