Open Source software for mask editing - MAC, PC, Linux

Sebastian J. Osterfeld sjo at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 23 17:01:08 PDT 2008

Dear Labmembers,

In the spirit of supporting open source software, I just wanted to
recommend the very nice open-source program LayoutEditor, which can be
found at http://layout.sourceforge.net/

It is small and easy to use, and it works natively with GDS (mask) and
DXF (autocad) file formats. It shows you what the mouse buttons will do
at any given instance, and it also can display your mask layers as a
stack in 3D. It's available for Windows, MAC, and Linux. If you need a
program to edit or display your mask files on your own computer, then
this program is the best alternative to L-Edit that I know - see
screenshots below. L-Edit may still have better DRC and geometry flag
checking - which you can do when you're mostly done with your design -
but I have exclusively been using LayoutEditor for years now with good
success.

Best regards,
Sebastian Osterfeld

LayoutEditor3D