Acid Waste System yellow alarm ....

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Tue May 20 14:32:47 PDT 2008

SNF Lab Members:

The yellow acid waste alarm began flashing some where between 2 p.m. and
2:15 p.m. this afternoon.

We have manually neutralized the system to bring it back into range and
have contacted the facilities folks responsible for that system.  Normal
processing can resume at this point.  If it goes into alarm again, make
sure that you contact that staff immediately so that we can manually
neutralize the system.  If that happens during the night call the lab
emergency number: 650 521-7306 .... I can say that without annoying my
colleagues, because I'm carrying that phone at the moment.

It appears as if one of the valves that injects sodium hydroxide into
the tank to neutralize acids is leaking and will need to be replaced.
We will work with facilities to insure that this repair is effected with
minimal downtime and inconvenience .... but there may be a short period
during the coming days when that system will be offline for a short time.

Thank you for your continued response,