Reminder - Jim Turner, Acting Director, NIST Seminar TODAY 4pm

Meredith M. Lee mmlee at stanford.edu
Thu May 29 15:21:56 PDT 2008

 Reminder, and bonus -- we also have Dr. Willie May, NIST Director of
Chemistry Science and Technology, and NIST staff member Dr. Mike Amos as
guests for this seminar. See you in Hewlett201!

> *Optical Society of America/SPIE Stanford Student Chapter and Stanford
> Photonics Research Center Present
>
> Dr. James M. Turner, Ph.D.
> Deputy Director and Acting Director, National Institute of Standards and
> Technology
>
> Measuring Up to the Global Competition: How NIST Advances Innovation and
> Industrial Competitiveness
> *
> Thursday, May 29, 2008
> 4:15 pm, Hewlett 201
> Refreshments at 4:00pm
>
> Abstract
>
> Study after study asserts the importance of innovation to the economic
> futures of industries and nations.  Across the spectrum from R&D laboratory
> to marketplace, global competition to be first and best in developing and
> commercializing new technologies is intensifying.  The job of the National
> Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), a science and technology
> agency in the U.S. Department of Commerce, is to work with companies,
> universities, and other organizations to develop and deliver  the advanced
> measurement capabilities that are among the essential ingredients of a 21st
> century innovation economy.  In this talk, I will describe the vital – but
> often overlooked – role that measurements and standards play in fostering
> technological progress under fast-changing circumstances of global
> competition and as new national needs arise.  Examples will be drawn from
> NIST's work in nanotechnology and biotechnology.
>
> About our Speaker
>
> Dr. James M. Turner is the Deputy Director of the U.S. Department of
> Commerce's National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). He is also
> carrying out the responsibilities of the Director. (The NIST Director
> position is vacant.) Turner provides high-level oversight and direction for
> NIST. The agency promotes U.S. innovation and industrial competitiveness by
> advancing measurement science, standards, and technology. NIST's FY 2008
> resources total $931.5 million and the agency employs about 2,800
> scientists, engineers, technicians, support staff and administrative
> personnel at two main locations in Gaithersburg, MD and Boulder, CO. Along
> with the Department of Energy Office of Science, and the National Science
> Foundation, NIST is slated for substantial budget increases for its core
> research programs under the President's American Competitiveness Initiative.
>
> Prior to joining NIST on April 16, 2007, Turner served as the Assistant
> Deputy Administrator for Nuclear Risk Reduction in the Department of
> Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration. In that position, he was
> responsible for major projects in Russia to permanently shutdown their last
> three weapons-grade plutonium-production reactors. He also worked with
> foreign governments and international agencies to reduce the consequences of
> nuclear accidents by strengthening their capability to respond to nuclear
> [...]

Meredith M. Lee
Stanford University
Ph.D. Candidate, Dept. of Electrical Engineering
President, Stanford Student OSA/SPIE

Center for Integrated Systems
420 Via Ortega, Stanford, CA 94305-4075
Fax: (650) 723-4659