Problems with Mozilla hanging?

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 13 18:58:06 PST 2008

SNF Lab Members:

We have been experiencing a number of "runaway" browser sessions ....
mostly mozilla but sometimes firefox.  When we get several of them,
everything else (including Coral) pays the price .... so we are trying
to resolve these issues.

If you think that you are experiencing this, I'd appreciate hearing from
you if it happens when you go to a particular site.  For example,
gmail.google.com used to crash Mozilla browsers ..... and it still may
happen.  If a browser crashes when you go to a web site, I'd like to
hear about it because I'd like to learn if these crashes sessions become
the runaway processes that we see.

Note: in a number of cases, a plug-in like Flash can cause a browser to
crash .... although I've recently updated the Flash plug-in for both
Mozilla and Firefox to the most recent release in hopes of reducing
these problems.

In any event, if you consistently experience browser crashes ....
particularly when visiting particular sites, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks for your help,