Firefox 3 ...

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 20 06:16:31 PST 2008

SNF Lab Members:

When I recently asked about problems with Mozilla hanging, I heard from
a number of you about problems with Firefox crashing frequently ...
particularly when visiting sites such a gmail.google.com.

A bit of study indicated that Firefox 3 has resolved a number of these
issues.  As a result, I've now installed Firefox 3 on the Sunrays in the
lab and it will be the browser that you get either if you issue the
command "firefox" at the command prompt or if you click the Firefox icon
in the menus.  (Note: if you still want/need to run the old version, you
can issue the command "firefox2".)  The first time that you fire up the
new Firefox 3, it will show you a License Acceptance window and then
likely ask if you'd like that to be your default browser.

I'd like to thank Tom O'Sullivan, Kelley Riviore, Joey Doll, Albert Lin
and Nahid Harjee for doing some advance testing of Firefox 3 for me.

Let me know if you encounter any problems but I'm hopeful that this will
improve the Firefox experience for many of you.

Happy browsing,