Postdoctoral Opportunity at the University of Maryland

Meredith M. Lee mmlee at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 8 10:39:33 PDT 2008

 Student OSA/SPIE and labmembers,

Please see below for a postdoc opening from Edo Waks, a former Stanford Ph.D
student and postdoc.

 *Postdoctoral Fellow Opening*
* *
*Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering*
*University** of Maryland, College Park*
* *
The nanophotonics group at the University of Maryland, College Park, is
seeking to hire a Postdoctoral Fellow.  The main interests for our research
group are: experimental and theoretical quantum optics, quantum information
processing, photonic crystal design and fabrication, quantum dots, physics
of optoelectronic devices, and plasmonics.  We are particularly interested
in candidates with optics lab and nanofabrication experience.

The nanophotonics group is led by Edo Waks, and is part of the Department of
Electrical and Computer Engineering.  Our group is part of the newly formed
Joint Quantum Institute (JQI), as well as the Inistute for Research in
Electronics and Applied Physics (IREAP).  JQI brings together leading
researchers from both NIST and Maryland to study quantum coherence and
quantum information, while IREAP combines the expertise of top scientists
from Departments of Physics, Electrical Engineering, and Material Science to
perform highly multidisciplinary research.  Postdocs will have the
opportunity to establish close ties with researchers at Maryland, NIST, and
IREAP.  They will also have access to state-of-the-art nanofabrication
facilities at the University of Maryland Fablab and NIST.

The initial appointment will be for one year with the possibility of renewal
for an additional one to two years subject to satisfactory progress and
availability of funds.  The start time of the appointment is open to
negotiation.  Qualified candidates must have attained a Ph.D. prior to the
beginning of their appointment.  Applicants should send a detailed CV along
with 3-4 references by email to edowaks at umd.edu. Please make the header of
your email is "Nanophotonics Research Position" to ensure that it is
appropriately received.  Additional information may be found on our web page
at http://www.ireap.umd.edu/NanoPhotonics/. Email applications are
preferred, but if a hard copy application is required it may be mailed to
the following address:

Edo Waks
Institute for Research in Electronics and Applied Physics
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742-3511

Meredith M. Lee
Stanford University
Ph.D. Candidate, Dept. of Electrical Engineering
President, Stanford Student OSA/SPIE

Center for Integrated Systems
420 Via Ortega, Stanford, CA 94305-4075
Fax: (650) 723-4659