Adobe Reader on the Sunrays ...

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 21 07:02:25 PDT 2008

SNF Lab Members:

One of the biggest complaints about the Opteron-based machine used to
support the Sunrays is the absence of Adobe Reader to display PDF
documents.  This complaint is widespread among the Solaris x86 community
.... not just here at SNF.

Finally, there is some good news to report on this front:

1. Adobe has finally announced that they will support Adobe Reader on
the Solaris x86 platform on their next major release (Acrobat Reader
9).  That is welcome news but, at present, doesn't really help.

2. As an interim measure, Transitive (a company in Los Gatos that
specializes in software that allows applications compiled on Solaris
SPARC architecture to run on other platforms) has recently released
QuickTransit that will allow Adobe Reader to run on the Solaris x86
platform.

I have intalled this program on the flare computer and you should now be
able to fire up this application named "transread" by issuing the command:

transread MyFile.pdf

Note: the full path to transread is /bin/transread.

The first time that you fire up transread, it seems to take a while to
open .... 15-30 seconds ... so be patient.  It will first open a licence
agreement and then show you your document.

If you wish to have this open in your browser, once you are in
transread, select "Preferences" from the "Edit" menu.  In the
preferences menu, select "Internet".  This will open a window that will
allow you to specify the browser to use.  In this case, you should enter
the full path to the browser executable:
either /bin/firefox for Firefox users or /usr/sfw/bin/mozilla for
Mozilla users.

Let me know if you encounter any problems .... be we hope that this will
provide you improved access to PDF documents.

Thank you for your continued support,