E342 MEMS Seminar: Monday Oct. 27th 3-4pm in CISX-101; Stress Engineered MEMS: Packaging springs, RF coils and more

Roozbeh Parsa rparsa at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 22 13:51:59 PDT 2008

MEMS Seminar Announcement:

E342 SEMINAR
(MEMS Lab2)

Monday, October 27th, 2008
3:00 – 4:00 pm
CISX-101

Title:
Stress Engineered MEMS: Packaging springs, RF coils and more.

Speaker:
Dr. Eugene M. Chow
Palo Alto Research Center (PARC), California

Abstract:
After a little introduction to PARC, I'll describe how we've been using designed stress gradients (GPa/um) to make a variety of micro-devices.  The focus has been on spring based electrical interconnects for electronics packaging.  We'll describe various package test vehicles we've built and tested with micrometer scale structures (smaller and more compliant than other approaches).  I'll also describe a high Q RF MEMS coil and other work devices we've demonstrated based on this technology.

Bio.:
Eugene M. Chow received a B.S. in engineering physics from University of California, Berkeley (1995), and from Stanford University earned a M.S. in electrical engineering, M.S. in management science and engineering, and a Ph.D. in electrical engineering (2001).  At Stanford he worked on silicon micromachining, focusing on through wafer electrical interconnects in silicon, atomic force piezoresistive cantilever arrays, and deep plasma etching.  He is currently a research staff member at the Palo Alto Research Center (formerly Xerox PARC), in the Electronic Materials and Devices Lab.  There he focuses on MEMS and solid state device research, such as microsprings for integrated circuit packaging, thin film transistors, large area printed organic electronics and novel printing concepts.