Coral update ....

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 28 11:32:30 PDT 2008

SNF Lab Members:

I apologize for the fact that it took longer than expected to restore
Coral service following the power shutdown in the computer room ....

The primary problem we encountered is that the flash memory on our
primary file server appears to have somehow scrambled the boot order of
disks and was trying to look in the wrong location.  Unfortunately,
because this was the primary file server that provides your home
directories, other systems (such as the Sunrays and the Coral servers)
were left hanging until we resolved this issue.

I believe that all Coral functionality has been resolved at this point
.... and that Web servers, xReporter, and other elements have been restored.

Starting at noon today, I will turn off any hardware interlocks for
tools that have not been enabled in Coral.

Thank you for your continued support and patience,