Reminder seminar on Si Nanowire Location and Growth Control TODAY (feb 2) at 3pm in cis 101x

J Provine jprovine at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 2 09:57:58 PST 2009

Hello:
a reminder of the seminar today at 3pm in CIS 101x by Dr. Nathaniel Quitoriano from HP Labs.

Title:  Silicon Nanowire Location and Growth Direction Control:  Enabling both Nanowire MOSFET Sensors and Nanowire/Nanotube Mechanical Resonant Chemical Sensing

Abstract:  Semiconducting nanowires (NWs) have promising properties suggesting future use in electronic, optical, and sensing applications.  In this talk we present results on guiding vapor-liquid-solid (VLS) NW growth by growing NWs against the buried-oxide layer of a silicon-on-insulator (SOI) substrate.  Using a (001) SOI substrate, we engineer NW growth in <110> directions against the substrate surface.  Growth against the substrate surface enabled straightforward fabrication of top-gated, metal-oxide-semiconductor, field-effect transistors (MOSFETs) exhibiting an Ion/Ioff ratio ~10,000 and a subthreshold slope of ~150 mV/decade.  In addition to the device results, we also discuss the structure and mechanism of this type of growth and how these surface NWs could be used as a chemical sensor possible in micro-fluidic channels.

We also present exciting results using VLS NWs as differential-mass, resonant sensors.  We show the resonant characteristics of these NWs and demonstrate their use as resonant sensors to specifically detect the presence of proteins through functionalization.  In addition, we present our latest breakthrough in differential-mass resonant sensing, the use of single-crystal, Si nanotubes (NTs).  We discuss the fabrication, materials characteristics and resonant properties of these NTs and their advantages over NWs for differential mass resonant sensing.

Biosketch:  In 2000, Nate Quitoriano received his Bachelor’s degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and Materials Science Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley and did research with Professor Tim Sands on an ohmic, transient-liquid-phase bond for semiconductors.  Nate received his Ph.D. in Materials Science Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology under the supervision of Gene Fitzgerald and worked on III-V, lattice-mismatched semiconductors.  After that, he worked in Stan William’s group at Hewlett-Packard Labratories under the direction of Ted Kamins where he studied Si and Ge nanowires for use as sensors and electrical devices.