Disk usage .... part deux ....

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 25 19:22:37 PST 2009

SNF Lab Members:

A number of you have noted that you seem to be using more disk space
than you think you have in actual files.  It turns out that a number of
you have significant amounts of space consumed in your
Mozilla/Firefox/Netscape caches.

Probably 100 or more of you have over 50 MB in your cache and probably
300 more of you have between 10 MB and 50 MB.  Since most of us aren't
aware of exactly what we have in our cache, that's a lot of wasted
space.  So, the next time you are in the lab, I'd appreciate it if you
would clean up your cache.

If you are a Mozilla user, you should be able to open the Preferences
item under the Edit menu.  Under "Advanced" you should find an item
labeled "Cache" and on that panel should be a button labeled "Clear
Cache" that will empty the contents of your cache.

Firefox should be fairly similar: there is also a Preferences item under
the Edit menu.  On the preferences panel, there is an icon labeled
"Advanced". Click on that and then on the "Network" tab on the panel
that appears and you will also be able to clear the cache.

Thank you for your help .... most of us get little added value from the
stuff in our cache and we'll all be happier if storage isn't an issue
for those things that need to be stored on our machines.

Thank you for your continued support,