Remote Coral from behind firewalls ....

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 22 07:44:27 PDT 2009

SNF Lab Members:

There have been a small number of you who have been unable to run Remote
Coral because of firewall issues .... particularly from industrial
concerns or government labs with tightly locked down firewalls.  We
believe that we have been able to control the ports that the Coral
servers are using in hopes that your local IT staff will be able to open
up your firewalls in order to be able to run Remote Coral.

We are now able to tell you that the Coral servers will be running on
the range of ports from 50000 to 50014 on the server shine.stanford.edu
(171.64.101.141).

In other words, if your firewall folks are willing to open your local
firewall to the range of ports 50000:50014 when the destination IP
address is (171.64.101.141) you should be able to run the SNF version of
Remote Coral.

Note, if you also wish to run the SNL version of Remote Coral, that will
be the same port range (50000:50014) but the destination address is
(171.67.100.167).

Let me know if this allows you to run remote coral when you had
previously been blocked.