PhD Orals: Filip Crnogorac, FRIDAY 1pm, Clark Auditorium

Filip Crnogorac filip at stanford.edu
Fri Nov 20 00:59:58 PST 2009

Friendly reminder,

Please join me for my defense on TODAY, 1pm at Clark Auditorium.
Looking forward to seeing you there,
Filip

“Semiconductor Crystal Islands for 3-Dimensional Integration”

Stanford University PhD Dissertation Defense

Filip Crnogorac (filip at stanford.edu)
Research Advisor: R. Fabian W. Pease
Department of Electrical Engineering

Time: Friday, November 20th, @ 1:00 pm
(refreshments served at 12:45 pm)

Location: Clark Center Auditorium
(Basement, entrance across from Nexus)

ABSTRACT

The critical operation needed to achieve 3-dimensional integrated
circuits is obtaining single-crystal, device-quality semiconductor
material on upper circuit layers without damaging circuits below
(400°C temperature limit). Simulation shows that microsecond pulse
532nm Nd:YAG laser can melt and crystallize amorphous Si or Ge layers
without heating the circuit layers underneath. However, experimental
results of unseeded (graphoepitaxy) and seeded (RMG) crystallization
of Si and Ge indicate that much longer pulse lengths are required for
high quality single crystal formation, rendering the approach not 3DIC
compatible.

A more straightforward approach is to directly attach high quality
crystal islands for upper layer device fabrication. A variety of
viable low-temperature (≤400°C) bonding methods have been
investigated: fusion bonding (SiO2-SiO2, Si-SiO2, Ge-SiO2), thermo-
compressive bonding (Cu-Cu, Ti-Ti), as well as AlGe eutectic bonding.
The unique advantages of AlGe technique for 3DICs are reported for the
first time. They include superior bond strength, low void formation,
no roughness requirement, use of thin films and CMOS friendly
materials. Finally, we present a full 3DIC compatible process of
obtaining single crystal Si or Ge islands for upper layer device
fabrication via SmartCut(TM) and CMP finish.