Seminar: Anne Sakdinawat Tues, April 13, 4:00-5:00pm, Allen 101X

Jae Hyung Lee jaehlee at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 6 15:14:31 PDT 2010

Tuesday, April 13, 2010
4:00-5:00pm, Allen 101X Auditorium

Nanoscale Imaging with Soft X-rays

Anne Sakdinawat
UC Berkeley, Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences

Abstract:
Nanoscale imaging with soft x-rays provides opportunities for element
specific studies across a wide range of applications in the physical
and life sciences with spatial resolutions approaching 10 nm.  Areas
of application include magnetic materials, bio-tomography and
environmental sciences, to name a few.   Presently, these studies are
conducted at synchrotron radiation facilities, but free electron
lasers (FELs), such as Stanford’s LCLS, are just becoming available
for complimentary femtosecond duration dynamical studies. It is also
possible that in the future, relatively compact soft x-ray lasers will
evolve to have sufficient photon flux and brightness to permit studies
on university campuses, industrial, and clinical environments.  In
this talk, I will present my work in novel x-ray imaging techniques,
such as spiral and other phase contrast techniques, methods for
increasing the depth of field for enhancement of 3-D tomographic
resolution, and 2-D resolution enhancement techniques.  I will discuss
fabrication of the requisite optical nanostructures, and use of these
techniques at synchrotrons, FELs, and compact sources.   I will also
discuss relevant applications in nanomagnetic imaging at the iron,
cobalt, and manganese edges, concrete formation studies at the calcium
edge, and single cell tomography imaging in the water window, just
below the oxygen K-edge.

Biography:
After receiving her Ph.D. in Bioengineering in 2008 from the
University of California at Berkeley, Anne Sakdinawat joined the
department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences as an
assistant research scientist. Dr. Sakdinawat’s research interests
encompass the fields of x-ray optics and x-ray imaging,
nanofabrication, and materials science.  Dr. Sakdinawat was a
recipient of the Werner-Meyer Ilse Award given to young scientists for
exceptional contributions to the advancement of x-ray microscopy.