Annoying windows popping up over the top of Coral in CDE window manager ....

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 8 18:33:21 PDT 2010

SNF Lab Members:

Several folks have reported an annoying behavior in the latest version
of Coral on the Sunrays that, we believe, only happens with the older
CDE desktop environment.

If you enable a tool, after you hit OK in the window that allows you to
select project and account, rather than the normal Coral window
returning to the top, if you have an underlying window, such as a
command prompt, it will move to the top.  This is an interaction between
the CDE (Common Desktop Environment) and the Java GUI stuff.  Sun/Oracle
is aware of this .... and has been for some time ... but has not come up
with a fix.

One way around this is to not use the Common Desktop Environment, but to
use the Java Desktop System (JDS) that does not appear to be affected by
this problem.

Even if you do not want to make a permanent change away from CDE to JDS,
you can test it out temporarily.

Here is how:

Next time you are about to login to one of the Sunrays, make sure that
you insert a smart card .... if you don't have a smart card inserted you
don't get the right options.  Before you type in your login name, select
the Option button, select the Sessions sub-menu item, and then select
"Java Desktop System, Release 3" under that.  Then login and you will
get a different looking set of windows ... and, I think, you should find
Coral at the top of the start menu.  In any event, from this point on,
you will automatically get the Java Desktop System rather than the older
Common Desktop Environment unless and until you select these options
again (with a smart card inserted) and explicly switch back to the
Common Desktop Environment.

We apologize that we did not spot this earlier ... but, by default, we
happen to use the Java Desktop System and this is the first case where
we've ever seen a difference between the two desktop environments.

Let us know if you have any further problems,