[Reminder] Seminar: Adam de la Zerda, Tuesday, April 27, 4:00-5:00pm, Allen 101X Auditorium

Jae Hyung Lee jaehlee at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 26 23:16:03 PDT 2010

Photoacoustic Molecular Imaging and its Biomedical Applications

Adam de la Zerda
Stanford University, Department of Electrical Engineering and the
Molecular Imaging Program

Abstract:
Photoacoustic imaging is a new medical imaging field with tremendous
clinical and commercial potential. In this talk, I will show how we
utilize the 'photoacoustic effect' - the conversion of short light
pulses into ultrasound waves, for performing highly sensitive disease
detection in a living body. By measuring the ultrasound waves
emanating from the body, one can create a detailed 3D image of the
blood vessels structure, oxygen saturation levels and track external
contrast agent molecules as they target diseased tissues such as
cancer. I will present our experimental photoacoustic imaging system,
reviewing its various aspects including: optics, electronics,
ultrasound, image processing, nanoparticle chemistry, biology and
medicine.  Finally, a number of medical needs we attempt to solve
using this technology will be introduced, including cancer, eye
diseases, and lymphatic diseases.

Biography:
Adam de la Zerda is a Ph.D. candidate at the Dept. of Electrical
Engineering at Stanford. He works on Photoacoustic Molecular Imaging
and its application for ophthalmic and cancer imaging under the
mentorship of Prof. Sanjiv Sam Gambhir at the Radiology and
Bioengineering departments at Stanford University. Mr. de la Zerda has
received over 14 awards for his work including the Best Poster
Presentation at SPIE Photonics West (2009), the Young Investigator
Award at the World Molecular Imaging Congress (2008), the Department
of Defense Breast Cancer Research Program Award for Predoctoral
researchers (2008), the Bio-X Graduate Student Fellowship (2008), and
first place at the Bay Area Entrepreneurship Contest (2007). He has
published over 10 papers in leading journals including Nature
Nanotechnology, Nano Letters, and PNAS, some of which received
significant press coverage from Forbes Magazine, US News and The
Washington Post. He holds a number of patents and is the co-founder of
a medical imaging device company, OcuBell Inc. Mr. de la Zerda studied
Computer Engineering and Physics at the Technion – Israel Institute of
Technology where he graduated with a B.Sc. Summa Cum Laude.