ASM Epi1 Move: Thursday, 4/29

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 27 09:40:51 PDT 2010

Dear labmembers:

The ASM Epi system (otherwise known as epi or epi1)  will be moved from
the lab this Thursday, April 29, starting at about 7 am.  Preparations
are underway now for this move, which should take only a couple of
hours.  Please be warned that the white area of the cleanroom will be
breached during the move (the double doors next to the chemicals
passthrough will be opened), but that we expect the cleanroom to recover
quickly afterwards.  You may want to plan your lab activities accordingly.

This move marks the end of an era at SNF...   The ASM Epsilon was
commissioned here around 1987 as an atmospheric epitaxial deposition
system, the first to our knowledge at any University lab.  After
significant modification, it was soon converted to a prototype
sub-atmospheric system.  Pioneering process development work was done on
this system: Ge and SiGe on silicon devices, conformal poly
encapsulation for packaging, hydrogen annealing of silicon.  The methods
developed on this system have launched many dozens of PhD's, not to
mention at least one successful company.

However, the decades take their toll and it became increasingly
difficult to maintain this system, particularly with is one-of-a-kind
modifications.  With the introduction of epi2, ASM Epi is no longer the
critical path step it once was.  Once the ASM Epi departs this world,
its space will be prepped for the installation of two new PECVD systems,
due in August (for more information about these, see the News on the SNF
website.)  And in the meantime, strategic discussions are underway to
further increase epitaxial deposition capacity and capability at SNF.

So, it's the end of an era -- but the beginning of a new one, as we
embark on introducing new equipment and processes at SNF.

If you have any questions about the move or new equipment, please
contact any of us --

Your SNF staff

mtang at stanford.edu
http://snf.stanford.edu