610 Anneal Systems

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 11 14:45:48 PDT 2010

All,

While we are excited to finally pass the permitting process, this
still does not mean the tools are ready for release.  We need to
bring in the manufacture and have them go through their start-up
process and verify the hardware.  Once this has been completed then
we need to verify our processes.  While the SNF staff is learning the
tool we can open up the tool for lab member "at risk" processing as I
know many of you are waiting.

I am calling these "at risk" processing because I can not answer your
questions regarding the performance of the systems until they have
been characterized.  I think we are a week or two away from opening
up the tools for any at risk processes.  To better understand the
critical annealing demands please send me your sample type, anneal
atmosphere and your desired thermal cycle.  I will try and help
everyone get back to processing as soon as I can.

There are questions floating around regarding the configuration of
the new 610 systems.  Both of these systems are identical and they
are plumbed with the identical gases which are on the AG4108 and
AG4100.  The gases are N2, O2, NH4, Forming gas (4%H-N2), N2O and
Ar.  The systems have pyrometer control for anneals greater than
~450C, just like the AG4100 and AG4108.  All four systems will be
running the same operating software.

What is different about the 610 systems over the automated ones are,
we can control low temperature anneals <450C with a thermal
couple.  The thermal couple can not tolerate high temperature
anneals, so it will have to be installed and removed as
required.  Also purchased silicon carbide susceptors for piece
work.  In theory (assuming they are handled appropriately by the
community) these will provide better reproducibility for pieces.

Ed