Disk usage ....

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 16 07:27:01 PDT 2010

SNF Lab Members:

Once again, we have filled disks.  When that happens you can't log into
the Sunrays and everyone is unhappy.  I've included a list of the folks
that are using over 100MB of disk space.  If you have some big files
that are stored elsewhere can you please delete them from this system?
Note: a number of you (even if you are not on this list) are using 50 MB
of disk space just for a Firefox or Mozilla cache.  It will help all of
us if you can go in and reduce the cache size to 10MB.

To do this, if you are using Firefox 3 please do the following:

Open the browser.  From the Edit menu select "Preferences".  When that
window pops up, select "Advanced" and then the "Network" tab on that
page.  Under "Offline storage" change the amount of space down to 10 MB
if it is set at 50 MB or higher.  Also, click the "Clear Now" button to
empty the cache.

If you are still using Mozilla, the process is very similar:

Open the Mozilla browser.  From the Edit menu select "Preferences".
When that window pops up, select "Advanced" and then the "Cache" item
under it.  On that panel you will be able to reduce the cache size from
50 MB to 10 MB and then also click the "Clear Cache" button to empty the
current cache.

Note: deleting the cache shouldn't hurt you .... it merely keeps a copy
of recently visited pages to keep them from re-loading when you visit
them again.  In our case, the disk savings of many users only consuming
10 MB of disk cache rather than 50 MB likely outweighs the additional
network traffic of loading additional pages.

Here is the ordered list of big disk users ...

458708  calarrudo
414943  chen0622
397138  sbiaa
394090  ychai