Card key outage last evening (Friday night).

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Sat Aug 28 14:00:14 PDT 2010

  SNF Lab Members and Allen Building Residents:

I received several reports indicating that card keys weren't being
recognized at any of our doors for a period of several hours last
evening. I have checked the logs and find that the last indication that
the system was working occurred at about 8:15 p.m. and the next
indication of a successful card swipe did not occur until 12:50 a.m.
Saturday morning indicating a period of outage that may have exceeded 4
hours.

The card key system is a campus wide system that is managed centrally.
The system is equipped with uninterruptible power supplies and does not
need network access to function properly.  I've contacted the staff
member in IT services that maintains the system.  While he does not yet
know the cause of the outage, he is now aware of the problem and is
investigating the situation.

Should there be any further outages, it is best to contact the 24-hour
IT Operations hot line at 650 723-1611.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.