Roof painting and possible odors in the lab ....

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 28 08:38:01 PDT 2010

SNF Lab Members:

As you likely know, this building is in the process of getting it's roof
painted.  Particularly when they are painting the west side (above the
that odors from that activity will enter the lab.

The folks from facilities and the contractor have provided us both with
a detailed schedule of the job and with the MSDS sheets for the paint
they are using.  I have attached those documents.  It appears as if this
Thursday and next Monday and Tuesday will be the days when painting will
be happening on the west side of the building.

Based on the MSDS sheets, the materials that are being used are water
based and noticeably less toxic than a number of products.  That said,
they do have a small component (0.1% by weight) of aqueous ammonia and
the color component also contains nearly 2% by weight of ethylene glycol
(anti-freeze in your car is approximately 50% ethylene glycol).

There may be some of these odors in the lab and we will be doing out
best to be aware of how strong the odor is.  However, if you find these
odors irritating or if you find that you develop either a headache or
nausea let a staff member know and get out of the lab into nice fresh air.

Thank your for your consideration,