Update on electrical outage and electrical tests for tomorrow morning at 7 a.m.

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 29 14:31:04 PDT 2010

SNF Lab Members and Allen Building Residents:

As a number of you know, last evening we experienced an electrical
outage that caused a loss of power to about half of the building.  It is
my understanding that his has been traced to a ground current fault that
was detected by one of the two main circuit breakers in the building.
FacOps and the campus electrical shop have restored as much of the power
as they can and now believe that the failure was likely caused by one of
six lighting circuits.  Those six lighting circuits are still off and
will not likely be restored until tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow morning at 7 a.m., the electrical shop will restore power to
each of the six lighting circuits one at a time to see if they can
identify the troublesome circuit.  This means that there is the very
real chance that this experiment will trip the same main breaker once
again.  While we hope that will not happen, we will at least know for
certain which of the lighting circuits is at fault.

Because of the risk that power may go off again tomorrow morning, it is
my recommendation that folks planning to use the lab or other sensitive
equipment plan around this time period.  Specifically, I recommend that
you not be using equipment between about 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. tomorrow
morning for fear that your run may be interrupted and equipment may
shutdown in an unplanned fashion.

We apologize for this inconvenience and hope that we will be able to
find the faulty circuit and resolve this issue so that it does not cause
further interruptions.

Thank you for your continued support,