Mac OS Remote Coral user question

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 12 15:48:38 PST 2010

SNF Lab Members:

As Java 5 had reached its end of life in terms of support from
Sun/Oracle, we are getting close to upgrading the Coral servers and
Remote Coral clients to Java 6.

Preliminary indications are that this will be an improvement for
virtually everyone and we already know that Remote Coral runs just fine
on Windows, Linux, and Solaris platforms with Java 6.  The only question
is related to Java 6 availability on the Mac OS X platform.

Apple does support JDK 6 (AKA Java 6) on 64-bit Intel architectures
running at least Mac OS X 10.5 (Update 2 or later, I think) but does not
on 32-bit machines.

> but Apple only released the Apple JDK 6 for Mac OS X 10.5/Leopard with
> 64-bit CPUs.

I am trying to figure out how many of you are running a JDK6-compatible
Max OS X platform and how many are not.

If you run Remote Coral on a Mac, can you let me know what version of OS
X you are running, what version of Java is currently installed, and, if
you know, whether it is a 32- or 64-bit machine (or maybe the model
number would allow us to track that down).