Cr etchant: etching rate?

Dany-Sebastien Ly-Gagnon dalyx at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 29 11:15:21 PDT 2010

For the Cr etchant that we have in lab (Cr-14), the etch rate should be
~93nm/min from literature. Note that our Cr etchant is expired (since April
2009), so literature etch rates may not be reliable.

>From experience, the etch seems to start only after ~30sec in solution, and
the etch rate is quite fast. In about 1 min, I could etch 10nm Cr. It
doesn't seem like the etch rate is linear in time and varies greatly
(perhaps because it is expired), so it may undercut resist patterns
significantly.

Best,

Dany