Ph. D. Oral Defense: Yiyang Gong, Tuesday 11/16, 10:30am Nanoscience 232

Yiyang Gong yiyangg at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 11 16:35:10 PST 2010

*Silicon-based nanobeam photonic crystal light emitting devices*
Tuesday, November 16^th , 2010 10:30 am (refreshments 10:15 am)

Ph. D. Candidate: Yiyang Gong

Research Advisor: Jelena Vuckovic
Committee: Mark Brongersma, Shanhui Fan, David Miller

Location: Center for Nanoscience 232

Silicon compatible light emitting materials can enable a new class of
cost-efficient opto-electronic devices, as optical devices and
electronic devices can be integrated on the same platform. However, the
low emission efficiency of such materials has hampered the development
of silicon light emitting devices. We explore the use of photonic
cavities to enhance the emission properties of silicon nano-crystals
(Si-NCs) in oxide and Er-doped silicon nitride, as high Q, low mode
volume cavities enhance the light-matter interaction.

Two dimensional photonic crystal (2D- PC) cavities have been developed
for the enhancement of emission for various materials, and cavities with
quality (Q-) factors greater than 10^5 have been experimentally
demonstrated in materials with index of refraction n = 3.5. However,
materials such as Si-NC doped oxide and nitride have low index of
refraction (n ? 2.0), and 2D PC cavities have been experimentally
demonstrated with Q-factors up to only 3,400 in such low index systems.
We investigate one dimensional nanobeam PC cavities, which are versatile
and enable high Q cavities for various indices of refraction. We
describe the design and fabrication of nanobeam cavities in silicon
dioxide (n = 1.5), with experimental Qs over 5,000 in the visible
wavelengths. We also study nano-optomechanical effects in passive
Si-based nanocavities. We then fabricate nanobeam cavities in silicon
oxide with embedded Si-NCs and Er-doped amorphous silicon nitride. We
demonstrate Q > 9,000 for the Si-NC material, and analyze the signature
of free carrier absorption for this type of material. In addition, we
demonstrate nanobeam cavities in the Er-doped nitride material with Q >
15,000. We observe linewidth narrowing in the Er material with
increasing pump power, which is a signature of absorption saturation and
differential gain, at both room temperature and cryogenic temperatures.
Compared to previous designs using high index Si as part of the cavity,
we observe a reduction of absorption losses arising from the material,
and correspondingly larger decreases in linewidth. By using time
resolved measurements, we calculate that optical transparency of the
material is reached at high pump powers.