Special Seminar: James Schuck (Molecular Foundry) Oct 28

Lana Lau lana at stanford.edu
Sun Oct 24 16:52:24 PDT 2010

Please join the Stanford Optical Society for the following seminar presented by Dr. James Schuck (Moerner Lab alum) of the Molecular Foundry this Thursday Oct 28 at 4:15pm (refreshments at 4pm).

Dr. James Schuck
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Thursday, Oct. 28th, 4:15 PM, Hewlett 102.  Refreshments at 4:00

High spatial resolution optical investigations of nanostructures and nanomaterials

In this talk, I will begin by introducing the Molecular Foundry, a National Nanoscience Research Center, and discuss the optics-related capabilities and research currently taking place there.  I will then describe some of my group’s recent work, in which we demonstrate the non-perturbative use of diffraction-limited nonlinear optics and photon localization microscopy to visualize the nanometer-scale controlled shifts of ultraconfined zeptoliter mode volumes within plasmonic nanostructures. Unlike tip-based or coating-based methods, these measurements do not affect the electromagnetic properties of the nanostructure being investigated.  The photon-limited localization accuracy of nanoscale mode distributions is determined for many of the measured devices to be within a 95% confidence interval of +/- 2.5 nm. In addition, because of the accuracy of these photon localization microscopy measurements, we were able to observe and characterize the effects of nm-scale fabrication variations and irregularities on local plasmonic mode distributions.
As a proof of concept, we image the local energy-dependent changes in near-field distributions within individual gold asymmetric bowtie nano-colorsorters (ABnCs) [1], a class of plasmonic color sorters, based on the “cross” nanoantenna geometry. These devices are specifically engineered to not only capture and confine optical fields, but also to spectrally filter and steer them while maintaining nanoscale field distributions. Their spectral properties and localized spatial mode distributions can be readily tuned by controlled asymmetry, and each of the zeptoliter mode volumes within an ABnC, separated by only tens of nm, can be individually addressed simply by adjusting the incident wavelength. We imaged relative spatial shifts down to 7 nm of distinct modes within the same device, demonstrating the local field manipulation capabilities of ABnCs, in strong agreement with theoretical calculations.
Finally, I will finish with a brief discussion of our efforts in developing novel near-field optical probes and their use in hyperspectral nano-imaging.

Jim Schuck is currently a Staff Scientist at the Molecular Foundry located at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories. He earned his B.A. in Physics at UC Berkeley, and his Ph.D. in Applied Physics with Prof. Robert Grober at Yale University.  After obtaining his Ph.D., he then spent three years as a postdoctoral researcher at Stanford University, where he was advised by Prof. W. E. Moerner studying optical nanoantennas and single-molecule spectroscopy.  His research currently focuses on nano-photonic/plasmonic device applications and nanoscale optical imaging spectroscopy of novel materials.