Nanosociety Meeting TOMORROW Friday @ 12:00 pm, McCullough 115: Enhanced Light Emission and Detection with Plasmonic Antennas

Jared Schwede schwede at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 28 07:53:47 PDT 2010

Tomorrow at 12 pm, Edward Barnard , a member of the Brongersma group, will be presenting his latest research on plasmonic antennas in McCullough 115.

FREE PIZZA will be served at 11:55 am.

Enhanced Light Emission and Detection with Plasmonic Antennas

Edward Barnard

Member of the Brongersma Group

Antennas are used in all parts of the electromagnetic spectrum -- from large-scale, low-frequency radio telescopes down to miniature WiFi antennas running at GHz frequencies -- to concentrate wave energy into electronic circuits. These same principles can be applied to make nanoscale antennas that act as “receivers” and “transmitters” for visible light. At optical frequencies these antennas support standing surface plasmon-polariton waves that enable substantial concentration of light at a set of well-defined resonant frequencies. Using full-field electromagnetic simulations and analytical optical antenna models, we are able to derive simple design rules to achieve antennas with a desired set of optical properties (field enhancement, scattering cross section, absorption cross section, and resonant frequency) based on their geometric properties. With these design rules, we have constructed resonance maps that allow a designer to choose an antenna structure that provides desired resonant properties for a specific application. We then apply these design rules to create antennas that resonantly enhance absorption on thin silicon detectors as well as enhance emission of cathodoluminescence (CL). Through spatial and spectral mapping of both photocurrent and CL we clearly show the fundamental and higher-order resonant modes of these antennas. In addition to these specific demonstrated applications, these results enable optical engineers to more easily design a myriad of plasmonic devices that employ optical antenna structures, including nanoscale photodetectors, light sources, sensors, and modulators.