Fwd: Ginzton Demolition Underway

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Sat Apr 16 07:23:56 PDT 2011

Dear labmembers --

More details and some changes in the demo schedule for Ginzton (see
below).  Note that there will be weekend work after all.  We've been
told that there will be more traffic as debris is hauled away, but that
street access should remain.

Please Forward:

Dearest Faculty, Staff and Students,

The Ginzton demolition timeline has just been finalized in preparation for construction of the BioE/ChemE building (the fourth and final building in our quad). We are insistent about maintaining noise levels during class hours and have established a schedule with the construction crew to minimize disruption. This will not be entirely convenient, but we are asking from each of you, as much understanding and support as possible. If the noise levels become too uncomfortable, I encourage your feedback so we can hopefully make some scheduling adjustments that make the work more tolerable.

Beginning next week upon receipt of the demo permit by Santa Clara County, the demolition of Ginzton will begin. After the actual building is removed leaving only the masonry walls and foundation elements, the construction crew will do the noisiest and most “vibrative” concrete jackhammering work from 6am-8am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays due to classes scheduled on the North side of Y2E2, closest to the construction work. On Mondays and Fridays the noisy work will go from 6am-9am, and from 6am-3pm on the weekends of May 7-8 and May 14-15. There will be typical construction traffic to and from the site including trucks offhauling debris which may create intermittent congestion on Via Ortega and Via Pueblo. By July, these roads will be closed altogether and we will need to drive around the Panama drive side of the parking structure for entrance.

I will continue to share information with you as it becomes available, and I encourage any of you with concerns and/or feedback to share them. I will meet with the construction crew regularly throughout this process and will provide all important updates. As a reminder, best management practices will be employed throughout the duration of the demo work which will address dust control, erosion protection, street maintenance, etc.

Sincerely,
Jetta Tatom
Y2E2 Building Manager
Office 167