Proposal to retire the SEMHITACHI -- Hitachi S-800 Cold Emission Scanning Electron Microscope system at SNF. Seeking destinations to donate this system to...

James W. Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Jun 22 12:49:03 PDT 2011

Greetings SEMHITACHI User and SNF Lab Members:

The Hitachi S-800 Scanning Electron Microscope system is widely
considered to be the 'Chevy II Nova of SEMs' with many thousands of
these systems sold in the United States by Hitachi Instruments.
  They are simple to use, robust in their design, and very flexible in
their operations across many scientific applications.  Through the
course of the last decade working in the SNF Ebeam Lab, I have trained
hundreds of Users conducting the 'SEM Practicum' classes on this tool.
It offers minimum resolution to ~10 to 12 nm across a range of
acceleration voltages from 500 volts to 25 keV and handles samples as
large as 100 mm diameter. On smaller samples that can be loaded through
the load lock it also is an excellent system for cross section analysis.

Now that several other capable SEM and EBL writing and measurement
systems are available to Users working at SNF, and our other sister
laboratories at Stanford, we have seen a decided drop off in usage of
this tool and the income it generates through the course of the last
years time.  Now in order to make space for the new maintenance area to
be constructed in the SEMHITACHI lab area, I have decided to retire this
tool and remove it from the SNF Ebeam lab tool suite this summer.

I am seeking a new destination for this tool preferably a college,
school, or research group whom wishes to take this tool in hopes that it
may be useful to another group for their research and continue its use
as a training tool for new technicians and engineers moving into the future.

Please contact me directly during my office hours or by email if you are
interested in obtaining this tool as a donation.  My office hours are
Tuesday to Friday 9:00 - 10:00 AM at ALLEN 31 or by email.

Thank you for your support!